Thinking of buying your first home and have questions about a potential neighborhood? you can get a lot of answers from your Realtor. However, if you want to do some of the research on your own before making a purchasing commitment, here are a combination of apps and websites that allows you to do just that from the comforts of your phone.
- Walk Score – (app and website) use it to find out how conducive an area is to walk.
- Transit Score – (website) Let you check out an area’s accessibility to trains, buses, and light rail
- NeighborhoodScout – (website) Provides information on commute, crime, and home price in one easy to digest snapshot. Want to know what’s unique about a neighborhood, you will find that out as well.
- Walc – (app and website) A free walking app that allows you to walk a neighborhood with turn by turn navigation and visual cues without ever stepping foot on a street or worrying about getting lost. want to walk a neighborhood, get turn by turn navigation with visual cues without worrying Download the app on Google play or from the App Store
- My local crime –(website) Enter your home address to pull up any recent local crimes. Check out the map function while you’re at it.
- Topo zone map – (website) While most maps show you only a two-dimensional rendering, topo zone map shows the surface and physical features of a given neighborhood.
- Greatschools.org – (website) Type in a Zip code to read school report cards from teachers, parents and student.
- 2010 Census – (website) breaks down age, population density, and commute times by neighborhood.